Newport HSOB RFC | 1st Team 0 - 90 Oakdale RFC | 1st Team
Christopher Davies
2 Conversion
1 Try
Scott Winnel
1 Conversion
1 Try
David Fortune
1 Try
Luke Lovell
1 Try
Matthew Davies
1 Try
Samuel Dixon
2 Try
Brett Turner
3 Try
Josh Thomas
1 Try
Simon Veall
8 Conversion
1 Penalty
Jake Farmer
1 Try
Cieran Jenkins
1 Try

Match Report
20 September 2015 / Team News

The Dale Cut Loose as the Old Boys Get Turner'd Over

Many clubs have been there and it’s not fun or entertaining. Starting off the season and conceding over 160 points in the first two games, NHSOB would not be relishing our visit yesterday and the Dale managed to pile on the misery with a resounding 90 – 0 victory on a fine late summer’s afternoon.

The talk before the game was that the home side had lost nineteen players to other clubs in the close season. Why? You can make your mind up about that but the Dale were also missing ten players on the day. We couldn’t argue with the fact that Super Gav was getting hitched to the lovely Cerys and many of our squad wanted to be at Swffrydd’s social event of the year. Although, such is the depth of the playing squad this season we had no need to concern ourselves and the 20 that took to the pitch on the day ensured that no-one was missed and the big red and white machine kept rolling on.

Within two minutes Oakdale were banging on the door to score the first points of the day. They pinched possession from an Old Boys lineout and Billy Isgrove sent Jordan Wall on his way. Wally lifted his knees and burst through a gap to make some good yards. With the line in sight he looked for Captain Scott with a final pass but the ball went to ground and the scrum was awarded to the home side. Although from the resulting scrum, the Old Boys were penalised and Simon Veall notched the first three points of the day with a successful penalty attempt.

Nine minutes later another loose lineout ball found its way again into Billy Isgrove hands and a hint of crossing went unchecked by the Referee and Jordan Wall was there again in good support. He got himself close to the line before being brought down and Brett Turner (pictured above) was there immediately to pick up and burst through the fragmented last line of defence to score under the posts. Veall made the conversion and Oakdale took a 10-0 lead on 11 minutes.

On the quarter hour the Old Boys had a chance to get themselves onto the scoreboard when Oakdale were penalised at the breakdown but their penalty attempt sailed wide. Four minutes later though it was try time again for the Dale. When the home side were penalised at the lineout Dai Fortune took a quick one and fed Turner who passed on to Cripper Davies. Cripper sent the day’s battering ram Jordan Wall through a gap and the defence was broken. He passed well to Cieran Jenkins who had the line in his sight. What seemed like an inevitable try was stopped by a last ditch tackle but Keys had the good sense to pop the ball up from the ground to Cripper who fed Sam Dixon who unselfishly passed to Josh Thomas to cross for Oakdale’s second try. Veall converted for a 17-0 lead.

Three minutes later the home side were penalised again at the lineout and Turner quickly fed Cripper who passed onto Cieran Jenkins. He threw a huge dummy which the home side completely fell for and he was able to canter in for his first try of the season. Veall missed the conversion but this stretched the away side’s lead to 22-0.

Old Boys missed their second penalty attempt on 27 minutes and from the resulting drop out the ball found touch. Oakdale once again won their opposition’s throw in and the back row barnstormer they call Gareth Ged Davies went looking for yardage. When faced with a home side’s defender he had the skills to pay the bills and popped a one handed pass to the supporting Fortune who sprinted in to score a try in the corner to extend the lead to 27-0.

With four minutes left on the first half clock Oakdale held their scrum firm and Turner fed Cripper who then had his number 12, Sam Dixon taking a straight line. Dixon gathered possession, shook of the tackle and had the strength to run in under the posts for a converted try by Veall to make the score 34-0

There was still time left on the clock though for Oakdale to score their sixth try of the half and it was one that we had all been waiting for. Knowing that the victory was in the bag it was time to use all the hands that were available and evade contact rather than take it. Slick hands all through the back line saw the ball reach Morgan Wilson and he had the speed to go outside his man and when the last line of defence was reached he passed inside for Luke Lovell to score a first phase try without any player being touched. Veall added the conversion to cap of a decent first half display.




Straight from the second kick off the ball found Matthew ‘Trevor’ Davies. He made a good break but when tackled he found Veall and ball sailed through the hands of his backs team mates Cripper, Dixon and Thomas. With the numbers of defenders decreasing by the second Josh passed inside to Turner who had the relatively easing task of coasting in for the first try of the second period. Veall slotted a good conversion to make the score 48-0.

Once again, straight from the restart it was try time again. The ball was gathered by Ged who made a good break and when required he fed Brett who passed to Sam Dixon who ran in for another try. Veall conversion was good and the 50 point mark was passed making the score 55-0.

It was important now to make sure that the style and quality of play was first class and the next try on 47 minutes didn’t disappoint. Finding themselves on their own five metre line the dale had no intentions of taking the safe option and instead set their open side backs in motion. Excellent handling of the ball by all the back line ensured that Jake Farmer had the space and time to score his first of the season. The conversion was good and this bumped the score up to 62-0.

It was a free-for-all now and when the Old Boys restarted, possession was gained by Ged who strode through the loose line of defence and when the time was right sent Oakdale’s Young Businessman of the Year, Brett Turner over for his third try of the day to get his hat-trick. The conversion was successful and another seven points made it 69-0 to the Dale.

Thirteen minutes into the second period Oakdale scored their fifth try of the half when a cheeky little chip over the defence by Cripper bounced somewhat generously over a defender’s flailing arms straight in Cripper’s, someone kicked the conversion and it was now 76-0.

On the hour another bouncing ball evaded the Old boys defenders and once again found its way to Cripper to score another try which again was converted. The score now standing at 83-0.

Scott Winnell got in on the act on seventy minutes with a try of his own which he also converted as play was now disintegrating with not much of a fight put up by the home side. With the score standing at 90-0 the Referee took the sensible option to blow up for time seven minutes early. Everyone was surprised but understood the decision. Although everyone smiled when one old bloke claimed that the Old Boys were on the verge of a comeback when the final whistle blew.




This was not about the score, I doubt whether any bookie would have offered attractive odds on an Oakdale win before the start of the day after the Old Boys two heavy defeats in the first two weeks of the season. This was about structure, style of play and depth of squad. Yes we pushed it a bit in the first half and dropped a few needless balls but the second half showed us the ability of the squad, the quality of passing and the team spirit we have. It’s already looking like there will be only five teams competing for the two promotion spots already and I don’t need to name them, results will tell you who they are. West Mon next week in the SWALEC Bowl. This is a competition that whet our appetite last year and we will all be looking to progress into the second round draw with a good performance and a favourable result next week.

Good luck for the rest of the season to the Old Boys. It is going to be a difficult one but there was a togetherness evident running throughout the club on Saturday with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. With a youth side on board as well it won’t be too long before their find their feet again and put out a competitive side. We wish you all the best.


COST OF ENTRY TO GAME - £3.00 we had to ask the gateman on the way in if they realised they were now playing in Division Three East ‘A’. We don’t do that extra pound but when we left after the match we all agreed that paying that little bit extra was worth it.

QUALITY OF MATCHDAY PROGRAMME – Well, there was one which was a start. Printed in black and white but it did have an up-to-date welcome and a good Chairman’s address. When I complained to our fixture Secretary that we should really be providing our opposition with a current line-up he replied that they did ask but I told them to take it off our website. Trouble was there was about 47 players listed in the programme.

QUALITY OF AFTERMATCH FOOD – Where do I start? I complained about that extra pound on the gate fee earlier but when you are offered chicken breast, jacket potato, butter, cheese and salad (yes salad!!) then you are only going to be impressed. Christ, they even had Balsamic Vinegar for the salad. Not only that they even trusted us with proper plates and proper cutlery. The bar has been set for the rest of the season and is unlikely to be bettered although the challenge has now been set. We give it a 10 out of 10.

Like one nice lady said to us after, ‘we maybe shit at rugby but we do a bloody good after match meal.’


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos